Monday, May 7, 2012

Every Day I Move Closer to God's Kingdom

We were away from our home church on Easter Sunday.  So it happens that I was just reading a copy of my pastor's sermon last night.  His words led me to the profound revelation - every day I move closer to God's kingdom!

For all of my life I've been normally occupied with what I must do at each stage of life.  Graduate college, start a career, get married, buy a house, start a family, get a new career, grow older.  I expected to achieve these things by a certain age, and I've been behind the eight ball most of the time.

My personal "timeline of achievement" is dictated by a finite life.  While it remains true that I only have a certain amount of time on this earth, I don't have to "get it right" in this life.  We will never be perfected in this life, none of us.  The promise and the glory of God's kingdom will only be known to us when our life on this earth ends.

I don't have to get it all right; I am not going to achieve perfection.  That is a nice relief.  However, the real blessing is knowing that it will not all end in death, but in the perfection of eternal life.  Instead of every day moving us closer to death, every day moves us closer to eternal life!  This revelation removes an enormous weight from our lives on this earth. 

That is not to say that I will abandon my new housecleaning schedule or nix my plans to go back to school for the third time.  I will still strive to be a good mother, to have a meaningful and fulfilling career, and achieve major life milestones.  However, I can do those things without the pressure of perfection and with the certain knowledge that I am moving towards something infinitely better each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment