Monday, December 12, 2011

Compassion? I'm too overwhelmed!

In my last post, I suggested we pray for compassion, to pray for the strength not to shut our hearts to others. But, what if you feel too overwhelmed?

I've seen lots of talk online about how to control your empathic abilities- turn them on or off, up or down at your discretion. This is intended to help empaths from being constantly overwhelmed with the barrage of emotions they sense in everyone around them.

Surely, being empathic is not easy and some truly suffer. It would be presumptuous of me to categorically say that we should not learn to turn this gift off to preserve our sanity. However, I remain skeptical and am not sure I agree with this approach.

1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 (The New American Bible)
Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophetic utterances. Test everything; retain what is good.

Instead of taking action to shut off your inner empath because it is too overwhelming, pray to God for discernment. To discern what He is sending you so that you can do His will. Ask God to enable you to receive what He is giving you and protect you from anything that is not from God. Ask that you be able to discern the difference.

Do you sense things just because you have empathic sensitivity, or do you sense exactly because it is God's will? My concern with trying to turn on and off your empathy is that you could miss God's message at a critical time.

No comments:

Post a Comment