Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Post Holiday Slump

Just over a week after Christmas - how are you feeling?  All around us, things are going back to "normal."  We've celebrated the birth of Christ, celebrated Christmas with our families; we've hung the stockings and decked the halls; we've wrung in the New Year - now what?

This Christmas, I found myself beginning the holiday season happier and more grounded than in years past.  Even so, I find myself now emotionally spent with a vague, lingering anxiety that feels residual.

Post holiday, I feel out of touch in my communication with God which seems counter-intuitive during the season in which we as a society recognize Christ more than any other time of the year.  I am not clear in my prayer time; my prayers feel uninspired.  I feel unable to fulfill a prayer request as just the thought brings tears.  How can this be?

My explanation is that I'm experiencing an overload of empathic data (emotional baggage) I've collected but not released along the way this season.  This is exactly the reason that many people seek to "shut off" or control their empathy, and to "shield" themselves from the emotions of others.

In a previous post, Compassion? I'm too overwhelmed!  I explained my skepticism and concern around the idea of blocking empathy - turning it on or off at our will.  Instead, I would suggest we take it to God in prayer.  Find a scriptural passage that reflects most what you're in need of be it strength, the ability to forgive, or God's mercy and grace.  Set aside time in contemplation of your chosen scripture, meditate, or practice the Prayer of the Heart.

When you're feeling more centered and back in touch with God in your life, take time to reflect on the emotions you've collected, where they may have come from, and allow yourself to observe them and let them pass if they should.  Most probably will be on their way, but be open to the possibility that some things are left unfinished.  Pray for discernment on those issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment