Saturday, March 3, 2012

Why I'm excited about the Eucharist

I have recently noticed positive changes in my life following the celebration of the Eucharist.  Which leads me to wonder more about this sacrament and it's meaning.  The meaning of the Sacrament has been obscure to me despite having been confirmed in the Catholic Church.
Hebrews 2:14-18
Since God's children share flesh and blood, Jesus himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death. For it is clear that he did not come to help angels, but the descendants of Abraham. Therefore he had to become like his brothers and sisters in every respect, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make a sacrifice of atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested. (http://www.lectionarypage.net/YearABC_RCL/HolyDays/Present_RCL.html)

What strikes me about this passage is the first line: "Since God's children share flesh and blood, Jesus himself likewise shared the same things..."  Is this sharing part of the meaning of the celebration of the Eucharist?

The Greek translation "eucharistia"  means giving of thanks according to Wikipedia.  Although the word Eucharist does not appear in the bible, the concept of giving thanks does:
1 Corinthians 11:23-24

For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharist

The word Communion does appear in the bible:
1 Corinthians 10:16

The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?  http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx?book=38&chapter=10&lid=en&side=r&verse=16&zoomSlider=0
What comes to mind when I think of the word communion - sharing, participating, becoming one.

So regardless of theological stance on this sacrament (transubstantiation, real presence, etc), the themes that stand out in my mind are 1. Remembering that God through his Son shared this state of human flesh and blood with us.  2. That His mercy is greater for having become like us in every respect.  3. That we should give thanks for the grace given to us.  4. That we can "commune" with Christ and share in his life by inviting him into our hearts and into our lives.

In our church, we do not celebrate this sacrament every week, but rather on specific days of the liturgical calendar.  Having "breaks" in between sharing the body and blood of Christ, I have begun to notice that there is always some surge of blessing, grace, or change in my life immediately following.  So that on the first Sunday of Lent when I saw that the Eucharist would be celebrated during that service, I quite literally thought, "Oh good!  We're having Communion today!  I wonder what will happen this week!"

No comments:

Post a Comment