Monday, February 27, 2012

Words for Love: Empathy in the bible

I occasionally come across online discussions that raise the fact that the word "empathy" does not appear in the bible.  I've seen discussions parsing words over what kinds of spiritual gifts are given.  That having the abilities that empaths claim is not possible and one instead may be compassionate, sympathetic, or have a mental illness.

While it is true that the word empathy does not appear in the bible.  What occurred from the incarnation, to the crucifixion, and the resurrection was demonstration of empathy most profound, see The Ir-regular Christian: Complete Revelation of Empathic Love.

I came across an article by Dr. Kenneth S. Weust called "The Words for Love in the Greek New Testament."  Weust explains that there are 4 words in the Greek language for love.  Each having a different connotation such as a loving nature, passionate love, or feelings of love rooted in pleasure or preciousness.

"Agapan"  and "philein" are  two of the words for love that are discussed.  Philein is used much less often in the New Testament and is intended to convey something different than a love born of preciousness (agapan).  The concepts of intrinsic inner goodness, brotherly love, friendship, hospitality, "from the same womb", and love for mankind all have roots stemming from "philein" and as below so too does the word "courteous."
"Courteous" (1 Peter 3:8) is from a word made up of philein and a Greek word speaking of "the faculty of perceiving and judging." The courtesy spoken of here is that rare and beautiful combination of friendliness and tactful and delicate sense of perception and judgment which should be a part of every Christian's spiritual equipment.   http://www.theologue.org/Love-KSWuest.html
"A rare and beautiful combination of friendliness and tactful and delicate sense of perception and judgement."  Doesn't that sound like the gift of empathy or the ability to be empathic?  Afterall, I am not professing to be a magician with some skill clouded in mystery or dark magic.  I use my normal senses and perceptions, they just might be more sensitive to subtleties of behavior than others.

1 Peter 3:8 offers words for all on Christian living:
Finally, be all of the same mind, sympathetic (see also A Play on Words: Empathic vs Empathetic), loving the brethren, compassionate, humble-minded
http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx?book=53&chapter=3&lid=en&side=r&verse=8&zoomSlider=0
Romans 12: 5-15 abbreviated:
So we the many are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another, but having gifts differing according to the grace that was given to us; ...in brotherly love, be affectionate one toward another...following hospitality: bless them that persecute you; bless, and curse not. Rejoice with them that rejoice, weep with them that weep. (http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx?book=37&chapter=12&lid=en&side=r&verse=15&zoomSlider=0)
So we can see many words used in the translations of 1 Peter 3:8 and Romans 12 on Christian living and gifts of the spirit that have their roots in the word "philein."  So that as empathic Christians we may live our spiritual gift by using our delicate sense of perception and judgement to offer others a rare and beautiful kind of love.

4 comments:

  1. My Lovely Woman, Wow. I hope you will continue on this journey and sharing what you learn along the way. My renewal of my Christian faith in the last seven years since Dani and I found our home church after we bought our house ... has been some of the richest, most joyful, and fulfilling time of my life. As for the idea of the empath--I know it is true. Dani and I have talked about my own tendencies in this regard, the highs and lows of the sharing of energies, even, as impacting our life, and I truly believe it is a Gift that is not an easy one to carry. But, wow, What A Gift. And to use it to help others, as I know you do in your daily life and works, is the most precious kind of love. I adore you. I am out here with you and look forward to learning of this journey. Take time for you when you need to; it will be your best way to keep yourself healthy. You are so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your love is deeply felt and appreciated. I am so glad that we are both finding a renewal of faith, and finding a church home. I just became an official member at my UCC home. It would make sense that you have the gift of empathy too as I have always felt a special and unique connection with you both, a connection on an unspoken level and something I feel with very few others. Blessings to you and your growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much ! I have been led deeper into what I call, "Empathetic Intercession." The challenge is how to explain this experience and the amazing results I have seen. What you have shared here has helped me frame this powerful gift into something I will be able to share and teach others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think I may have found some answers, I have spent years with people of the church considering what I said as a gift from Lucifer or a lie to seek attention. Maybe by reading through your blog I can ease my own mind and know for sure God accepts me as he has made me.

    ReplyDelete